Search

I am just Me. Am I?

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Taiwan-Singapore Issue

http://www.straitstimes.com.sg/eyeoneastasia/story/0,4395,275254,00.html?

I must admit I'm never a very "politically-inclined" person. I dun keep myself updated of news and all...but today's lecturer posted us a question, "Why are Singaporeans so NOT angry?" It puzzles her as to how come we are so rationalised and calm about everything?

In contrast, other people always seem to be so angsty and full of hatred they have to resort to demonstations and violent behaviour.

This aroused my interests. Plus Ir posted an entry on her blog. So I took the effort to look through the relevant Straits Times article.

Honestly, I sympathise with Singapore. ALOT. And to some extent, I'm actually quite "proud" of how we choose to "react".

firstly, the "lack" of reaction might be due to the fact that, many people do not even know that such a thing happened! (like me) So...ok...that's a bad point about Singaporeans, not being concerned about current affairs.

2nd, though at one point of time when China was "upset" with Lee's private visit to Taiwan, I was initially sad that we had to so publicably "apologise" for something which we didn't do wrong.

But on hindsight. It's something we Have to do.

Singapore being such a small country, we really have to try to be friends with everyone. Which is really difficult...but yeah...

So this time round. I'm proud of Singaporeans don't actually think of retaliating and doing something drastic. What for? I think it'll only show our "lack of grace and maturity" if we do that. I think it shows that we are people who "think" before we act...we are able to access the situation and do what's best.

Da Zhang Fu Neng Qu Neng Shen, that's what I believe in.

BG Yeo merely stated a concern. It might have not been in a very appropriate occassion, it may seem that we're trying to "please"...but actually, I think he just voiced out a very "common-sensical" opinion.

Who wishes to see a war break out? Please raise your hands.

I for one do not.

I dun understand why some people like to quarrel and throw chairs in parliament seatings. I also can't understand why they have to choose such "uncouth" words to make "commoners" understand. Why do these ministers receive so much education for? By saying these...it seems to me that their "common" people can only understand things like "mucus" and what not.

Say we're small it's fine. As small as a pea, as small as a pin...I dunno...but...mucus???

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home